About the Blue Pig
The Blue Pig originally known as the White Lion is situated at the top of Mill Brow which was originally known as King St. This was the main road into Kirkby Lonsdale until 1820. Coach and horses had to cross devils bridge and travel along the bank of the river Lune until reaching Mill Brow. At this point they had to stop and attach large bulks of wood by chains onto the rear of the coach ready for a full speed gallop up Mill Brow, if the horses faltered the bulk of wood acted as a break to stop the coach rolling down the hill. As the horses passed Swine Market (adjacent to the Blue Pig ) the passengers first view of an inn would be the White Lion near the junction of what is now Market St and Main St.
In the 1900′s this residence was privately owned by the Willan family and sold Sunday papers whilst their neighbours next door acted as the local laundry. The back entrance to the Blue Pig opens onto Swine Market where Bonnie Prince Charlie reputedly stood on the stone cross and invited the malicia of Kirkby Lonsdale to join him in his northern quest. Swine Market is one of the most photographed areas of Kirkby Lonsdale being situated in the oldest part of the town next to St Mary’s Church which dates back to the 9th Century.
The property reverted back to a private dwelling when it ceased selling papers, it then became a call centre and later a shop . In 2007 this grade two listed building was granted planning permission and after many months of hard work the Blue Pig was born.